A distribution from your IRA is typically taxed as ordinary income. If you meet the conditions below, you are eligible to make a gift directly to United Way that is tax-free.
- Must be ages 701/2 or older
- Annual IRA gift cannot exceed $100,000
- Your IRA administrator must make the transfer directly to United Way of Greater Rochester
The gift would count toward your IRA required minimum distribution.
to view United Way's IRA Charitable Rollover brochure.
Instructions for transferring funds from your IRA to United Way:
- Contact your IRA administrator
- Tell your IRA administrator you wish to make a direct distribution from your IRA to United Way
- Request a check made payable to United Way of Greater Rochester and indicate it is a distribution from the account of (your name)
- Provide United Way of Greater Rochester's Federal Tax ID #: 16-1015782
- Please contact Julie Marsiglio at Julie.Marsiglio@uwrochester.org or 585 242-6465 to let us know to expect a payment