AALDP is a unique development program that identifies, trains and promotes the placement of African Americans in policy-making positions at community organizations in the Greater Rochester area. The primary focus of AALDP is the development and application of effective leadership skills and competencies in one’s professional and volunteer pursuits. The connections, experience and relationships built throughout AALDP are invaluable to individuals, organizations and our entire community as we all come together to help Rochester thrive.
The training is nine days in length and the curriculum topics include, but are not limited to communication, leadership, decision-making, conflict resolution and board membership responsibilities.
You must attend all program dates, so mark your calendar now.
- Cohort Introduction and Summer Assignments: Monday, June 11 and Tuesday, July 24 (5:30 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Orientation Session: Monday, September 10 (5:30 pm – 8:30 pm)
- 9 Classroom Sessions:
- Tuesday, September 18 – Saturday, September 22 (7:45 am – 5:00 pm)
- Tuesday, September 25 – Friday, September 28 (7:45 am – 5:00 pm)
- Board Fair: Thursday, September 27 (5:30 pm - 7:30 pm) - tentative
- AALDP Graduation: Thursday, October 25 (11:30 am - 1:30 pm)
- Small group meetings as structured by groups
AALDP Application Process
Application deadline is Friday, April 13, 2018.
If your application is received after the deadline it will be considered for 2019.
- Complete the entire application (including all questions, volunteer history, references, supervisor’s signature, essay etc.) as it is referenced during the application process.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Seek approval and signature from your supervisor or employer to participate. If you are self-employed this does not apply.
- All applicants will be formally interviewed each year. You should be prepared to answer interview questions and know about the United Way’s African American Leadership Development Program.
- A few weeks after your interview, you will receive a written letter with a determination on participation.
- Complete all of the online AALDP application.
- Attach a resume and any additional pages.
- Mark your calendar with all AALDP program dates and board fair.
- Be sure to fill out the Intent to Participate and get your supervisor's approval. Send this form to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline.
- You will receive a confirmation after you submit your application - if you do not receive a confirmation within one hour please contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.