United Way’s Latino Leadership Development Program was established to identify, train, and promote the placement of Latinos on boards, committees, community projects, and policy–making positions in order to ensure the Greater Rochester community and organizations are tapping the full potential of the Latino community. Nonprofit board members are often passionate about the objectives of the organization, but it takes more than passion to govern a nonprofit organization. Board members must understand their role within the organization, fundraising tools and management techniques. As professionals in your field, this leadership training will help you become acclimated to your role as a volunteer, community leader, a board member and enhance your problem solving skills.
The training is seven days in length and the curriculum topics include, but are not limited to:
- Board Member Responsibilities
- Group Dynamics
You must attend all program dates, so mark your calendar now.
- Tuesday, August 7 - Thursday, August 9
- Tuesday, August 14 - Thursday, August 16
- LLDP Graduation: Wednesday, September 26 at 11:30am - 1:30pm
- Board Fair: Thursday, September 27, 5:30 - 7:30pm (tentative)
- Follow-up session: Friday, October 26, 8:30am - 4:00pm
LLDP Application Process
Application deadline is Friday, April 27, 2018.
If your application is received after the deadline it will be considered for 2019.
- Complete the entire application (including all questions, volunteer history, heritage, references, supervisor’s signature, etc.) as it is referenced during the application process.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Seek approval and signature from your supervisor or employer to participate. If you are self-employed this does not apply.
- All applicants will be formally interviewed each year. You should be prepared to answer interview questions and know about the United Way’s Latino Leadership Development Program.
- A few weeks after your interview, you will receive a written letter with a determination on participation.
- Complete all of the online LLDP application.
- Attach a resume and any additional pages.
- Mark your calendar with all LLDP program dates and board fair.
- Be sure to fill out the Intent to Participate and get your supervisor's approval. Send this form to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline.
- You will receive a confirmation after you submit your application - if you do not receive a confirmation within one hour please contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.